This cookies are soft and my kids love them! They can be a big hit on your next school bake sale. Swap in different cookie cutters as you wish and adjust the baking time according to the size and thickness.
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
110g semisweet chocolate, chopped
55g butter, cut into pieces
1 large egg
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
extra 100g semisweet chocolate for topping, chopped
Sugar deco or nuts
1. Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
2. Place chocolate, butter, sugar in another bowl and set over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir frequently and remove from heat when it's almost completely melted. Then stir until completely melted before let cool slightly.
3. Add egg to the chocolate mixture. Beat until well blend with a mixer on low. Gradually stir in flour mixture to form a ball like dough.
4. Divide dough in half, wrap each dough with plastic wrap and press them flat. Freeze for about 20 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 170C. Working with one half at a time. Roll the dough between two sheets of baking sheet to 4mm thickness. Cut out cookies (I used a 7 x 4cm cookie cutter and make 30 cookies). Bake for about 8 - 10 minutes. Transfer cookies to a rack to cool.
6. For topping, melt the extra chocolate and brush on cooled cookies and sprinkle with sugar deco or nuts.