Ads

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Vegetarian Curry Puff with Puff Pastry


I'm sure anyone who had been living in Malaysia or Singapore for a while knows this popular snack!  This is probably the fastest and easiest way to make curry puff.  Instead of making the pastry from scratch, just use ready made puff pastry.  Simple and easy with curry potatoes fillings.

I would normally make two dozens of them, put six of them in a plastic bag, and freeze them.  Whenever I feel like having some, I just pop them in the oven, and I have hot yummy home-made curry puff in just 10 or 15 minutes.

Ingredients:
350g potatoes, peeled, cut into 1cm cube 
1 small onion, finely chopped
100ml water
1/2 tbsp curry powder
1/4 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt\
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp cooking oil
275g ready made puff pastry, thawed (25 x 42cm)





Method:
1.  Preheat the oven to 200 degree C.  Line a baking tray with grease paper.

2.  In a pan over medium heat, add in 1 tablespoon of oil.  Stir fry the onion for about 1 minute or until fragrant.  Add in the potatoes and stir fry for about 1 minute.

3.  Mix the curry powder, chili powder, sugar, salt with water.  Add the mixture in the pan and cook the potatoes in low heat for another 10 or 15 minutes.  It's done when the potatoes are cooked through.

4.  Set the potatoes aside to cool.  Meanwhile cut the puff pastry to 12 rectangles.  Put 1/2 tablespoon to 1 tablespoon of potatoes in the centre of the rectangle.  Fold the pastry into half.  Press the sides of the pastry with a fork (as seen on the photo below). 


4.  Bake the curry puff for 10 - 15 minutes.  You can egg wash the top of the pastry with half of an egg mix with 2 tablespoons of milk.





  

1 comment:

  1. I always used to order these from my near Thai restaurant They were tasty, although I regret I made so many little ones - I think next time I will make larger ones with more filling inside each of them!

    ReplyDelete