Ads

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

YuanXiao Festival / Chinesisches Laternenfest

Yesterday was the Lantern Festival or YuanXiao Festival.  We also called it Chap Goh Meh in Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia.  It is a festival celebrated on the 15th day of the first month in the lunisolar year in the Chinese Calendar.  This 15th day, also mark the end of the new year celebration.

My husband George was away in Poland.  I wanted to cook some food to celebrate this day and didn't want to celebrate with just my two kids.  So I invited my friends, a Vietnamese couple to come over for dinner.  I'd recently learnt that the Vietnamese and the Chinese have quite a few things in common.  For example, red is the lucky colour,  they celebrate lunar new year, and they also believe that the year of the Dragon is a good year to have a baby boy!

I wanted to post some photos of the foods I'd prepared.  Nothing special, they're just some simple Chinese foods.




The apertiser, with deep fried wontons, seafood rolls and crab claws.














Bak Zam Gai served with chilli, ginger, garlic, soy sauce.





















The children's favourite oven baked chicken wings.














Stir fried celery, black fungus and pork belly.













Shrimps with ginger, spring onions and Chinese wine.  These shrimps are not bad, will definitely buy the same brand in the future.









And finally, the Yuanxiao, Yuanxiao is a glutinous rice ball.  Also called Tang Yuan.  Tang Yuan has a long history in China.  The Chinese believe eating Yuanxiao will give them good life.








I'm glad that I'd invited Lyly and Trong over for dinner.  They were great companies and we had some good laugh speaking our broken German.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment