This roasted chicken is marinated with lemon, thyme, parsley and olive oil. The herbs give this dish a special flavour.
1.5kg chicken, cut into 10-12 pieces
125ml (1/2 cup) lemon juice
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
3 garlic cloves, crushed
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp chopped thyme
2 tbsp chopped parsley leaves
1/2 tsp ground pepper
lemon wedges to serve
Serves 3 - 4
1. In a large shallow dish, mix together the lemon juice, lemon zest, thyme, parsley and olive oil and pepper. Add the chicken pieces and turn them until all are well coated. Cover and marinated for at least 30 minutes, turning the meat occasionally.
2. Preheat the oven to 200 degree C. Remove the chicken from the dish, season lightly with salt. Place chicken in a roasting tin in a single layer. Roast for 30 - 40 minutes or until cooked through.
3. Serve with lemon wedges, and mashed potato. Or other side dish. I serve mine with asparagus wrapped in bacon. For the recipe of this side dish, please click here.
4. If you prefer to cook the chicken without the skin, cover it with foil halfway through the cooking time so that it doesn't dry out.
5. You can also use 1.5kg chicken thigh instead of one whole chicken.