Ads

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Three-Cup Chicken 三杯雞


This dish originates from the Jiangxi province of southern China, but has become especially popular in Taiwan.  The name 'three-cup' is referring to the three main ingredients for this dish.  It is said that for one whole chicken, it require 1 cup sesame oil, 1 cup soy sauce and 1 cup Chinese rice wine. 

It is traditionally cooked in a claypot and served in it.  I don't have a claypot, so I cooked it in a ceramic pot.  I know what I should buy the next time I visit the Asian shop.  ;-)  But then of course, you can also cook it in a wok or normal pot.   

I'm glad I tried out this dish.  Both my kids loved it so much.  And this was the first time Angelica actually 'ga fan', in Hakka, meaning ask for another plate of rice.

I'd used chicken wings in this recipe.  You can also use whole chicken or chicken thigh.




Ingredients:
1/4 cup sesame oil(dark one if available)
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup Chinese cooking wine
1 kg chicken, cut into chunks
4 cloves garlic
8 slices ginger
1/8 cup sugar
2 tbsp sweet dark soy sauce
4 spring onion, cut into green and white sections
Thai basil leaves
Serves 4



Method:
1.  Heat sesame oil in claypot.  Stir fry garlic, ginger, white portion of spring onions briefly until aromatic.

2.  Add chicken pieces, mix well over medium high heat for about 1 minute or until the chicken pieces are no longer pink.  Add wine, soy sauce, sugar and dark soy sauce.  Bring to a boil.

3.  Lower the heat, cover, simmer for 6 minutes.  Then stir once and continue cooking for another 5 minute or until the liquid has reduced greatly.  Stir in the rest of spring onions and basil leaves and it's done.

4.  Serve hot with rice.



 






No comments:

Post a Comment