This soft cookie dough is a great cookie base for all occasion. They are always a hit in kids parties. The dough itself is not too sweet as I normally decorated them with sugar icing which is fun and looks wonderful!
250g all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
110g butter, soften
150g powder sugar
1 medium egg
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 tsp grated lemon rind
Powder sugar, golden syrup, milk for sugar icing
Makes about 20 cookies
1. Using a mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in egg and then vanilla essence.
2. Add all dry ingredients to the mixture to form a dough, wrap with a plastic wrap and press to form a disc. Chill for at least 2 hours.
3. Roll the dough into 5mm thickness on lightly floured surface or between two plastic wraps. Cut with your favourite cookie cutters.
4. Bake at 180 degree C on the medium rack for 5 to 7 minutes or until the sides turn a little bit brown. Cool cookies on a wire rack.
5. To make sugar icing, mix together 3 1/2 tablespoons powder sugar, 1/4 teaspoon golden syrup, 1 teaspoon milk and stir well. If it's too runny, add a little sugar, bit by bit. Add your favourite food colouring. The amount of sugar icing you require may depend on how you decorate the cookies.
The same cookie base I used for Christmas cookies: